“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
The Design and Technology Team at Angmering believe that our subjects provide a variety of skills to enable our students to think creatively, critically and independently.
We use a wide range of materials and processes to equip them for life and become the Designers of the Future through exciting and challenging projects. We are a successful department with good to outstanding teaching. (OFSTED). We consistently achieve good grades across all areas at GCSE, A level & BTEC. We offer a wide range of projects and courses throughout all three Key stages which are designed to build on designing, making, analytical & evaluative skills.
Design & Technology is fun & exciting, challenging, relevant. Students have gone on to university to do Architecture, engineering, fashion, Interior Design and many other Design based courses.
- Year 7 – Work with a range of materials to produce a wooden boat, hand stamp, developing drawing skills, designing a maze project, structures and judo bots. Food: omelettes, ragu, pizza, bread, biscuits, salads and fruit salads.
- Year 8 – Mechanical toys, a money box, Pugglies, Lego robots and Staple Diet and Nutrition.
- Year 9 – Mobile phones, Technical drawing, acrylic clock and a number of mini projects/night lights, Diet and Health.
KS4 range of specialisms:
- GCSEs in Graphic Focus, Art Textiles, V Cert in Food, Craft and Engineering.
- A levels in: Graphic Products, Systems, Textiles & BTEC Jamie’s Home Cooking Skills.
Extra curricular activities & trips include:
Lunch time clubs, STEM and weight robots, Ardingly Show, Design Conferences in London and the Design Museum. Industrial links: Including Brompton and Ricardos.
In 2013 we were the winners in the STEM SmithKlein Beecham National Competition.
In 2015 we were the West Sussex winners of the Create and Cook competition.
Design & Technology Staff:
- Carrie Brixey SL Technology
- Jon McNamara
- Jan Sylvester
- Louisa Chignell
- Katie Stoner
- Mary Pynn
- Jane Williams
- Andrea Alden (Technician)
- Abigail Brothers (Technician)
- Kevin Mann (Technician)