“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
The Design and Technology Team at Angmering believe that our subjects provide a variety of skills to enable our students to think creatively, critically and independently.
We use a wide range of materials and processes to equip them for life and become the Designers of the Future through exciting and challenging projects. We are a successful department with good to outstanding teaching. (OFSTED). We consistently achieve good grades across all areas at GCSE, A level & BTEC. We offer a wide range of projects and courses throughout all three Key stages which are designed to build on designing, making, analytical & evaluative skills.
Design & Technology is fun & exciting, challenging, relevant. Students have gone on to university to do Architecture, engineering, fashion, Interior Design and many other Design based courses.
- Year 7 – Work with a range of materials to produce a desk tidy, hand stamp, developing drawing skills, designing a maze project, structures and judo bots. Food: omelettes, ragu, pizza, bread, biscuits, salads and fruit salads.
- Year 8 – Mechanical toys, Maracas, Pugglies, Lego robots and Staple Diet and Nutrition.
- Year 9 – Mobile phones, Tool boxes, ipod docks/night lights, Diet and Health.
KS4 range of specialisms:
- GCSEs in Graphic Focus, Textile Design, V Cert in Food, Craft and Engineering.
- A levels in: Graphic Products, Systems, Textiles & BTEC Jamie’s Home Cooking Skills.
Extra curricular activities & trips include:
Lunch time clubs, STEM and weight robots, Ardingly Show, Design Conferences in London and the Design Museum. Industrial links: Including Brompton and Ricardos.
In 2013 we were the winners in the STEM SmithKlein Beecham National Competition.
Design & Technology Staff:
- Carrie Brixey SL Technology
- Jon McNamara
- Jan Sylvester
- Louisa Chignell
- Katie Stoner
- Mary Pynn
- Jane Williams
- Andrea Alden (Technician)
- Abigail Brothers (Technician)
- Kevin Mann (Technician)