“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
– Steve Jobs
The Design and Technology Team at Angmering believe that our subjects provide a variety of skills to enable our students to think creatively, critically and independently.
We use a wide range of materials and processes to equip them for life and become the Designers of the Future through exciting and challenging projects. We are a successful department with good to outstanding teaching. (OFSTED). We consistently achieve good grades across all areas at GCSE, A level & BTEC. We offer a wide range of projects and courses throughout all three Key stages which are designed to build on designing, making, analytical & evaluative skills.
Design & Technology is fun & exciting, challenging, relevant. Students have gone on to university to do Architecture, engineering, fashion, Interior Design and many other Design based courses.
- Year 7 – Work with a range of materials to produce a desk tidy, hand stamp, developing drawing skills, designing a maze project, structures and judo bots. Food: dips, omelettes, pizza, bread, biscuits, salads.
- Year 8 – Mechanical toys, Maracas, Pugglies, Lego robots and Staple foods.
- Year 9 – Mobile phones, Tool boxes, ipod docks/night lights, multicultural food, food science and vegetarianism.
KS4 range of specialisms:
- GCSEs in Graphic Products, Textiles, Product Design, Engineering & Food Technology.
- A levels in: Graphic Products, Systems, Textiles & BTEC Jamie’s Home Cooking Skills.
Extra curricular activities & trips include:
Lunch time clubs, STEM ant weight robots, Ardingly Show, Design Conferences in London, Clothes Show trip, Design Museum, Cadbury’s World, Create and Cook competition .Industrial links: Including Brompton and Ricardos.
In 2013 we were the winners in the STEM SmithKlein Beecham National Competition.
Design & Technology Staff:
- Carrie Brixey SL Technology
- Jon McNamara
- Jan Sylvester
- Louisa Chignell
- Katie Stoner
- Mary Pynn