Well organised home learning plays a vital role in raising standards of achievement and developing successful lifelong learners.
What students can expect
- Students will experience a range of learning tasks matched to what they are learning.
- These will include consolidation exercises, practice, preparation, research and independent projects.
- All project work will have clear milestones following the agreed home learning timetable for the class.
- Tasks are personalised to suit students’ abilities.
- At KS4 and KS5, home learning tasks will also include coursework, controlled assessment preparation, exam practice and revision.
How often they can expect it
- At KS5, home learning will be set every lesson, up to a maximum of 3 hours per day.
- At KS4, home learning will be set every week for each subject, up to a maximum of 2 hours per day.
- At KS3, home learning will be set weekly for core subjects and fortnightly for foundation subjects, up to a maximum of 1 hour per day.
- Teachers will agree with their class which days work is set and collected, at the beginning of the year. This will be recorded in the home learning timetable in the student planner.
- Moodle will be the default gateway to access resources to support tasks
How will you know if your child has home learning to do
- Students will record the home learning for every subject in their planners. They are expected to maintain an accurate log of all home learning with deadline dates. This record is essential if parents are to be kept informed and updated on home learning.
- We ask that parents/guardians check and sign the Student Planner weekly.
Feedback on Home Learning
- Teachers are expected to give feedback on home learning promptly. Please let us know if you have any concerns regarding this.
- Feedback will take a variety of methods including peer and self assessment, oral and written comment from the teacher.
- It is the teacher’s responsibility to manage the non-completion of home learning, liaising with parents where necessary.
- All academic reviews have a Yes/No comment to let parents know if home learning is a cause for concern.
We value your feedback on all elements of home learning. Please contact us by email, telephone or in person.